RIVER - Executive Chef
Viking is a strong and dynamic company - with a growing fleet of more than 80 river ships and seven ocean vessels cruising over 100 itineraries around the world. In 2022, our guests will experience all the comfort and elegance of our award-winning fleet with two expedition ships built specifically to explore the world's most remote destinations. We will also expand our operations to the U.S. with the addition of a new Mississippi River ship.
A VIKING LEADERSHIP ROLE
As a Viking Shipboard Leader, you represent Viking's values and leadership philosophy (Hávamál). You are a hospitality professional who demonstrates passion for excellence, who takes ownership for your areas of responsibility, and who believes in empowering your team with the skills, knowledge, and tools to succeed. You are an exceptional role model for the Viking Family and have strong motivation to achieve the company's goals and objectives. You are flexible, stress resistant, focused, and a truly committed team member.
PURPOSE OF POSITION
To manage the Galley Department by ensuring a high level of quality in every aspect of the food service operation, maintaining an efficient administration system and by creating a friendly and guest-orientated service culture to ensure guest satisfaction and repeat business, which in turn will increase revenue and profitability of the company.
To provide at all times an excellent guest service, maintaining high standards and consistency of outstanding food quality, monitoring of all guest galley-related tasks and supervising and coaching the galley team.
- Responsible for the entire galley operation onboard
- Ensuring professional production and distribution of all meals for guest and crew in accordance with company standards, menu cycle and recipes
- Organization and execution of F&B related ship functions and special events (for example Welcome Dinner, Farewell Dinner, Afternoon Tea, VES Cocktail)
- Ensuring food safety, highest level of cleanliness in the galley and production areas at all times in accordance with Viking standards and HACCP procedures
- Ordering of food supplies with MXP in accordance with the budget and production planning, in a cooperation with the Maitre and the Hotel Manager, while keeping the food cost budget at all times
- Daily Conduction of menu briefings with waiter staff prior to service and instruction of waiters to explain dishes
- Preparation of opening and closing ships at start and end of season
- Supervision, motivation and training of the multi-national galley crew
- Participation in loadings and conduction of quality control
- Responsible for cost control and adherence to set budgets
- Conduction of stock takes; inventory according to company procedure
- Active participation in other ship functions, socializing with guests during mealtimes
- This document is not a definite overview of the expected responsibilities, tasks and duties. Items can be added in the future accordingly. The holder of this statement can be asked to take on other tasks in addition of the ones stated on the paper
- Aligning with Maitre to ensure high standards of the F&B Operation
- Executing full reports in MXP in compliance with the MXP Wait Order System (WOS)
- Organization, management, motivation and training of the galley team
- Conduct performance evaluations for direct reports
- Conduct departmental "Daily Reunion" on a daily basis
- Active participation on onboard training programs
- Ability to effectively deal with internal & external customers, some of whom will require high levels of patience, tact and diplomacy to defuse anger, collect accurate information and resolve conflicts
- Responsible for the correct departmental manning in the line of the EU Regulations and given budgets
- Outstanding flexibility: must be able to work during different times of the day, under pressure and reflect at all times, even under difficult conditions, a positive can-do attitude and the best image of Viking
- Be fully proficient and knowledgeable about all relevant recipes, menu cycles, and function sheets
- Become knowledgeable about itinerary-related ports of call and shore excursions
- Full knowledge of the daily program
- Positively contribute in achieving / succeeding the KPI goals (quality and financial) for the Galley Department, as well as for the entire Food and Beverage Department
- Strong motivation to achieve the company goals and objectives
- Full knowledge about safety & security procedures
- Participations in all training concerning safety & security, fire prevention, evacuation exercises as required by the company
- Graduation from a culinary school required, and additional degree with hospitality focus preferred
- Minimum of 4 years previous experience required in an upscale cruise line or hotel of comparable size in the similar position in the scope of the galley operation
- Fluent in English - must be able to address any kind of information in an adequate manner with excellent oral English communication skills
- Must be able to deal correctly with confidential information and must be discrete
- Must be well groomed and maintain impeccable hygiene standards
- Extensive walking required and ability to stand on feet for a long time
- Hours may vary based upon organizational needs and operational demands
- Guest focused, service oriented, positive personality and professional appearance
- Flexible and stress resistant, team player, shows commitment
- Accounting and administration skills is a plus
GUIDELINES AND REGULATIONS
- Implement SOP policies, procedures, standards, as laid out by the management.
- Ensure appropriate appearance and clothing according to the updated grooming standards.
The company reserves the right to change/extend this job description, if necessary, at any point of time during her/his employment.
Apply now »