OCEAN - Sous Chef
A VIKING LEADERSHIP ROLE
As a Viking Shipboard Leader, you represent Viking’s values and leadership philosophy (Hávamál). You are a hospitality professional who demonstrates passion for excellence, who takes ownership for your areas of responsibility, and who believes in empowering your team with the skills, knowledge, and tools to succeed. You are an exceptional role model for the Viking Family and have strong motivation to achieve the company’s goals and objectives. You are flexible, stress resistant, focused, and a truly committed team member.
PURPOSE OF POSITION
- The Sous Chef assists the Chef de Cuisine and/or Executive Chef to oversee the entire assigned Galley operation, by consistently monitoring and checking all food preparation areas over the course of the day and controlling the opening & service hours of the Service Line.
- You are required to be in charge and in full control of the Galley operation of the assigned area in the absence of the Chef de Cuisine or/and Executive Chef.
- It is your responsibility to ensure safe, quality food production, and to create a friendly, guest-oriented service culture to ensure Guest satisfaction and repeat business, which in turn, will increase revenue and profitability of the company.
- Hold excellent cooking skill, with the flair and creativeness to enhance buffet presentations; control the breakdown after each service, in conjunction with the Chef de Partie.
- Work closely with the Kitchen Steward in order to accomplish tasks related to inventory, equipment control & maintenance etc.; countercheck daily Storeroom deliveries, for accuracy; regularly check fresh produce chillers, together with Galley Management, to avoid shortages/wastage during the cruise; ensure proper use of the menu checklist and recipe reviews.
- Ensure that all Galley personnel transport their provisions with the correct utensils.
- Assist in conducting the Dinner Service Line, which includes but is not limited to, ensuring smooth and efficient service, presentation, and final plating; and tour all outlets during service hours.
- Minimize equipment loss/damage and maintain immaculate cleanliness standards by enforcing “clean as you go” work habits in relevant areas, and by applying safe working policies and procedures, according to all Public Health Policies, and ensuring that all equipment is sanitized and returned accordingly, after each use.
- Be present during loadings for quality control and assurance; assist the Executive Chef with supervising the Galley operation and preparing requisitions for all Catering equipment.
- Ensure that the Galley/adjacent areas are ready for any announced and/or unannounced Public Health inspections, done either by the Ships’ Management or local authorities (public health inspectors). The Sous Chef must be present for all inspections; ensure that all menus, recipes, methods, and specifications are adhered to, and are in line with the quality and cleanliness of all Public Health Policies and Viking’s STAR Service Standards.
- Assist the Executive Chef with preparing additional working schedules (Embarkation Day, Special Functions, etc.) for Galley personnel; have an in-depth understanding of the working hours policies and procedures; be familiar with crew contracts and work schedule hours/week, to maintain working hours paperwork and if necessary, correct entries for payroll.
- Lead and support a multi-cultural team, maximizing crew satisfaction, productivity and retention; meet with Team Leaders on a daily basis for “The Daily Reunion”, to provide feedback & operational updates as well as to ensure that your department is performing to Viking’s STAR Service Standards.
- Appoint and enforce specific job responsibilities to all key personnel working under the direction of the Sous Chef and establish the manner and means to train personnel.
- Provide competent leadership to all direct reports. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to: Conducting performance reviews, including discipline as needed, ensuring Maritime Labor Convention (MLC) compliance and onboard training, succession planning, crew communication and recognition.
- Ensure you always wear the appropriate and task specific Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) as required for your duties onboard. Always use correct lifting techniques to prevent injuries.
- Always uphold impeccable grooming standards within your team by complying with Viking’s Image and Uniform Standards.
- Ensure that company property is appropriately secured and protected, especially during rough weather conditions, to prevent unnecessary loss or damage.
- Positively contribute to achieving/succeeding Culinary KPI goals (quality & financial) for the Culinary Department; have full knowledge about safety & security procedures and can operate in line with all Public Health, Environmental and Safety & Security Policies; participate in all training concerning onboard training, safety & security, fire prevention, evacuation exercises as required by the company.
- Temporarily replace/takeover the Chef de Cuisine’s position (with necessary training), at any given time.
This document describes the primary activities, duties, and responsibilities of this position. Your manager or supervisor may assign additional duties and responsibilities to you.
- A required minimum of 9 years plus experience as a Sous Chef or similar position, within a 5 Star hospitality and/or restaurant environment; advanced culinary skills, are required.
- Fluent in English - must have excellent English communication skills to clearly interpret and orate documents, such as menus and recipes. The ability to speak additional languages is an advantage.
- Must have experience in leading multi-cultural teams; flexible, stress resistant, committed team player; strong administration skills are preferred and must be proficient with PC based databases, spread sheets, and word processing systems.
- Guest-focused, service-oriented, positive personality, professional appearance and impeccable hygiene standards are required, with excellent knowledge of all Public Health Policies; team builder with exceptional work ethic, motivational skills and coaching abilities; must be able to physically handle 50+ lbs. (30KGs) on a daily basis, and work a minimum of eleven hours a day, seven days a week.
GUIDELINES AND REGULATIONS
Implement Standard Operating Procedures & STAR Service Standards within the department.
Ensure appropriate appearance and clothing according to the updated Grooming Standards.
The company reserves the right to change/extend this job description if necessary, at any point of time during her/his employment.
Apply now »