A VIKING LEADERSHIP ROLE
As a Viking Shipboard Leader, you represent Viking’s values and leadership philosophy (Hávamál). You are a hospitality professional who demonstrates passion for excellence, who takes ownership for your areas of responsibility, and who believes in empowering your team with the skills, knowledge and tools to succeed. You are an exceptional role model for the Viking Family and have strong motivation to achieve the company’s goals and objectives. You are flexible, stress resistant, focused, and a truly committed team member.
PURPOSE OF POSITION
- The Executive Housekeeper oversees a variety of housekeeping functions to ensure the smooth running of the daily operation of the Housekeeping and Laundry Departments, which consists of approximately 90 – 100 Officers and Crew.
- The Housekeeping Department is responsible for the cleanliness of Guest staterooms & officers’ cabins, the presentation of the ship, its public areas & back of house, and the maintenance upkeep of these areas. The Laundry Department is responsible for the provision of clean linen to the various areas onboard i.e. Guest Staterooms, food & beverage and various public areas. It is also responsible for managing the cleaning services for employee uniforms, Guest laundry and dry-cleaning.
- Regularly inspect housekeeping areas and the main laundry facility to ensure a clean and safe workplace and safe luggage operation with emphasis on employee health and fire/chemical safety.
- Monitor the routine maintenance of staterooms, public areas, crew areas and laundry facilities.
- Monitor data such as Guest ratings to identify opportunities to improve service and Guest satisfaction.
- Facilitate department meetings & participate in various meetings, & shipboard inspections as required; oversee inventory control and approve purchase orders and requisitions.
- Lead and support a multi-cultural team, maximizing crew satisfaction, productivity and retention.
- Meet with Team Leaders on a daily basis for “The Daily Reunion”, to provide feedback & operational updates as well as to ensure that your department is performing to Viking’s STAR Service Standards.
- Provide the highest level of comfort and service to Guests and consistently maintain an impeccable standard of cleanliness and hygiene in all areas, as per Viking’s STAR Service Standards and all Public Health Policies; manage service according to Guest flow, embarkation & disembarkation, sea day activities & other activities.
- Provide competent leadership to all direct reports. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to: Conducting performance reviews, including discipline as needed, ensuring Maritime Labor Convention (MLC) compliance and onboard training, succession planning, crew communication and recognition.
- Ensure you always wear the appropriate and task specific Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) as required for your duties onboard. Always use correct lifting techniques to prevent injuries.
- Uphold impeccable grooming standards within your team at all times by complying with Viking’s Image and Uniform Standards.
- Ensure that company property is appropriately secured and protected, especially during rough weather conditions, in order to prevent unnecessary loss or damage.
- Ensure that all Human Resources related issues are handled properly and fairly, in line with Viking’s Policies, Procedures and Code of Conduct.
- Demonstrates outstanding flexibility: able to work at different times of the day, under pressure and reflect a positive can-do attitude and the best image of Viking at all times.
- Become knowledgeable and ensure your team are knowledgeable about itinerary-related ports of call, shore excursions and shipboard activities such as events, entertainment and programs.
- Positively contribute to achieving/succeeding Housekeeping & Laundry KPI goals (quality & financial).
- Have full knowledge about safety & security procedures and can operate in line with all Public Health, Environmental and Safety & Security Policies; participate in all training concerning onboard training, safety & security, fire prevention, evacuation exercises as required by the company.
This document describes the primary activities, duties and responsibilities of this position. Your manager or supervisor may assign additional duties and responsibilities to you.
- A required minimum of 5 years plus experience as an Executive Housekeeper, within a 5 Star hospitality environment, and experience with ship operations of 500+ staterooms required; must have experience in leading a multi-cultural team.
- Fluent in English - must be able to address any kind of information in an adequate manner with excellent oral English communication skills – the ability to speak an additional language is an advantage.
- Guest-focused, service-oriented, positive personality, professional appearance and impeccable hygiene standards are required; team builder with exceptional motivational skills and coaching ability is required; must be flexible and stress resistant, team player, shows commitment.
- Outstanding partnering, networking and relationship skills are required, must have the ability to understand the needs of front-line leaders.
- Must be proficient with PC based databases, spread sheets, and word processing systems.
- Must have excellent knowledge of all Public Health Policies.
- Dry-dock or new build ship experience is preferred.
GUIDELINES AND REGULATIONS
- Implement Standard Operating Procedures & STAR Service Standards within the department.
- Ensure appropriate appearance and clothing according to Viking’s Image and Uniform Standards.
- The company reserves the right to change/extend this job description if necessary, at any point of time during her/his employment.
Position: Executive Housekeeper
Supervisor: Hotel General Manager
Direct reports: Assistant Chief Housekeeper and Laundry Master
Line manager: Hotel General Manager
“As for conditions — in terms of contracts, special benefits and vacations during the season — Viking is far above average within the industry.”
Apply now »